Own a Business? We're Here to Help
We’ve taken great steps to create a healthy, vibrant business community and are proud to provide first-class customer service to our Mount Pleasant businesses. Whether you’re a local, “main street” business, or a large corporation, we have programs designed to help you get up and running, network with your peers, and take your business to the next level. Mount Pleasant is “open for business.”
Mount Pleasant Business Programs & Initiatives
Town Proud Certified Local Business Program
Town Proud Certified Local Business Program
Mount Pleasant’s Town Proud program helps residents, visitors, and business owners identify local businesses that are rooted here and make our coastal community so unique and resilient by diversifying our economy. By recognizing these businesses, we celebrate and promote the character, flavor and culture of this place we call home.
Local businesses should be recognized for the investments they make into our local economy. In appreciation of their contributions to our community, the Town of Mount Pleasant is thrilled to provide the Town Proud Program.
- Your business will be listed as in the Town’s online certified local business directory.
- Your business will receive a printed decal and digital graphics for use on your storefront, website, and digital communications.
- You will gain access to occasional Mount Pleasant local business relationship-building events.
- The business is privately held and not publicly traded.
- The business is located in the Town of Mount Pleasant and has no corporate or national headquarters outside of the state.
- The business owners who have a controlling interest of more than 50% live in the Lowcountry.
- The business can make independent decisions regarding the name and look of the business, business purchasing, practices and distribution, and pays all their own marketing, rent and other business expenses.
Local Vendor Partnership Program
We value our businesses and understand that our success as a community is tied to the success of our businesses. The Town offers a Local Vendor Partnership Program as a mutually beneficial opportunity to support our local businesses while ensuring the quality of the products and services the Town procures.
Through this program, businesses located within the Town may apply to receive a “preferred vendor status” as an approved local business. This means, in the evaluation of pricing proposals or bids submitted, approved vendors will be evaluated as though the prices offered were 5%, 2%, or 1% lower than actually proposed. This program applies to products, goods, and non-professional services.
Once you’ve obtained your business license and certificate of occupancy, you’re eligible for a ribbon-cutting event. At this event, Town staff will provide the requisite red ribbon and scissors, and the Mayor, Town Council and local area Chambers of Commerce will be invited to attend. While staff cannot guarantee an elected official will be in attendance, a representative from the Town will be there for the ribbon cutting ceremony. We will also help distribute photos and information about the opening through our media contacts, website, and social media.
To schedule a ribbon cutting, please reach out to the Business and Tourism Office (email@example.com). Staff will coordinate with you to find a day and time to suit your business needs. Ribbon cuttings are held Monday through Friday 8am-4pm.
Mount Pleasant Business Appreciation Month
You are the company you keep. As such, Mount Pleasant dedicates each September to recognizing our business community as valuable Town citizens. Mount Pleasant Business Appreciation Month is a partnership between the Town of Mount Pleasant and several organizations such as the Mount Pleasant Chamber of Commerce (MPCC), Charleston County Economic Development, Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce, among others. This month-long celebration is filled with social media campaigns, dynamic events, networking opportunities, and culminates in the Mount Pleasant Business Expo.
The 2018 Mount Pleasant Business Appreciation Month will feature the following lineup of events:
- Wednesday, September 12 | 5:00-7:00pm |Mount Pleasant Town Hall | Business Appreciation Month Happy Hour in partnership with the Mount Pleasant Chamber of Commerce and Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce
- Wednesday, September 19 | 7:30-9:00am | Alhambra Hall | Join Mount Pleasant Mayor Will Haynie for a wonderful breakfast and presentation held in partnership with the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce
- Thursday, September 27 | 1:00 – 6:00pm | Omar Shrine Convention Center | Learn more about Mount Pleasant’s vibrant business community with the Mount Pleasant Chamber of Commerce. For more information, click here!
- Business “House Calls” will take place throughout the month!